Adult Children of Alcoholics/Dysfunctional Families
Fridays 7pm to 8:30pm in the Small Meeting Room
Fellowship follows the meeting in the coffee bar.
What is ACA?
Adult Children of Alcoholics (ACA) is a Twelve Step, Twelve Tradition program of men and women who grew up in alcoholic or otherwise dysfunctional homes. The ACA program was founded on the belief that family dysfunction is a disease that infected us as children and affects us as adults. Our membership also includes adults from homes where alcohol or drugs were not present; however, abuse, neglect or unhealthy behavior was.
We meet to share our experience and recovery in an atmosphere of mutual respect. We discover how alcoholism and other family dysfunction affected us in the past and how it influences us in the present. We begin to see the unhealthy elements of our childhood. By practicing the Twelve Steps, focusing on the ACA Solution, and accepting a loving Higher Power of our own understanding, we find freedom. More…
What is in a name?
Pride Laundromat: Pride refers to serving GLBTQ & Allies in recovery. Laundromat refers to the first piece of ACA literature The Laundry List. It details the 14 traits of an ACA… and what do you do with your dirty laundry…
What makes Pride Laundromat different?
- Longer sharing time. We won’t have shares less than 4 minutes.
- Our commitment to meeting safety has lead us to hold crosstalk workshops.
- We have our own workshops when there is a fifth Friday in the month where members are encouraged to interact with one another in a safe way.
- Literature is for sale in the club house coffee bar at all times and they accept credit cards.
Meeting Type Schedule:
- 1st Friday – Step Study Meeting (month corresponds to the step 1st=Jan, 2nd=Feb, etc).
- 2nd Friday – Topic Discussion Meeting (chair’s choice from ACA literature or other group approved literature).
- 3rd Friday – Laundry List Trait Study/Discussion Meeting (trait of the chair’s choosing).
- 4th Friday – Topic Discussion Meeting (see above)
- 5th Friday – Workshop Meeting (In months with 5th Friday a coordinator is asked in advance to prepare).
More questions or need more info?
Adult Children of Alcoholics World Service Organization
25 Questions: Am I an Adult Child? (tri-fold pdf)
Note: The Pride Laundromat group of Adult Children of Alcoholics is not affiliated with Austin Galano Club in accordance with the 6th tradition of ACA World Services